Research Grants of up to $2,500 are awarded twice annually to offset the cost of conducting research at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum. Funding is calculated on the following basis: 1) $75 for any night spent in Independence, Missouri to cover lodging and meals; 2) airfare based on the best advance-coach fare available; 3) $100 allowance for photocopying (ground transportation, including rental car fees, will not be reimbursed).
The spring round of Research Grants includes one John K. Hulston Scholarship of up to $2,500, to be awarded to a researcher who wishes to visit multiple research facilities – including the Truman Library – for their topic. Applicants should indicate their interest in the Hulston Scholarship when submitting their Research Grant applications and include a detailed project budget outlining additional repositories to be consulted and how materials at those repositories fit into the larger project.
RESEARCH GRANTS: APRIL 1 AND OCTOBER 1
JOHN K. HULSTON SCHOLARSHIP: APRIL 1
Competitive proposals will evidence a clear understanding of the existing research in the field and how the proposed work adds significantly to that body of literature. Applicants are expected to demonstrate both an analytical and descriptive grasp of the project and its centrality to the Truman era. Application packages must include the following:
- Completed Research Grant application
- Curriculum vitae (3 pages, maximum)
- Project description and justification (5 pages, maximum)
- A list of specific collections and box numbers the candidate expects to access at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
- Two letters of reference from persons familiar with the applicant’s scholarly work, including one from the project advisor, if candidate is a graduate or post-doctoral student. Letters must be received by the deadline and mailed or emailed directly to the Grants Administrator by the referring individual.
Mary McMurray, Ph.D.
Director of Learning and Engagement
Truman Library Institute
5151 Troost Avenue, Suite 300
Kansas City, MO 64110