Research Grants of up to $2,500 are awarded twice annually to offset the cost of conducting research at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum. Funding is calculated on the following basis: 1) $175 for any night spent in the Greater Kansas City, Missouri area to cover lodging and meals; and 2) airfare based on the best advance-coach fare available or current IRS mileage rate for those driving personal vehicles.
The spring round of Research Grants includes one John K. Hulston Scholarship of $2,500, to be awarded to a researcher who wishes to visit multiple research facilities – including the Truman Library – for their topic. Applicants should indicate their interest in the Hulston Scholarship when submitting their Research Grant applications and include a detailed project budget outlining additional repositories to be consulted and how materials at those repositories fit into the larger project.
RESEARCH GRANTS: October 15, 2023 and April 1, 2024
JOHN K. HULSTON SCHOLARSHIP: April 1, annually
Competitive proposals will evidence a clear understanding of the existing research in the field and how the proposed work adds significantly to that body of literature. Applicants are expected to demonstrate both an analytical and descriptive grasp of the project and its centrality to the Truman era. Application packages must include the following:
- Completed Research Grant application
- Curriculum vitae (3 pages, maximum)
- Project description and justification (5 pages maximum; double spaced, 12-point font)
- A list of specific collections and box numbers the candidate expects to access at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
- Two letters of reference from persons familiar with the applicant’s scholarly work. Letters must be received by the deadline and mailed or emailed directly to the Grants Administrator by the referring individual.
- A detailed project budget outlining additional repositories to be consulted and how materials at those repositories fit into the larger project (Hulston Scholarship only)
Fall 2023 Awardees
The Truman Library Institute is pleased to announce the awardees of its Fall 2023 Research Grants. This grant cycle will assist scholars advancing research on such topics as American intelligence, the U.S. Armed Forces, the history of humanitarian aid, foreign policy, national security and our American political system.
Truman Library Institute
5151 Troost Avenue, Suite 300
Kansas City, MO 64110